Friday, May 26, 2006

from across the room she looked beautiful

This is becoming a miniseries: "The World's First Unmanned Flying Desk Set's Attempt to Find a Man." At least this installment will be short.

I visited my sister at her office today--she's a secretary on campus. We were chatting, but I was multitasking, seeing as how there was a cute boy with an empty ring finger sitting behind the front desk using the phone. I looked at him and he looked at me, which was an unusualy experience, and I thought, "Huh."

I had no sooner had this profound moment that the boy asked me if I was a friend of LaLa's. We both grinned and revealed our secret--we're sisters. And for a brief moment life as far as flirting goes looked very good. And then. . . (here ends the chapter to keep you reading). . .

And then my sister did something both wonderful and terrible. She told him about me. I teach 115 and 218. I'm a grad student. I'm brilliant. She was talking to Mom and they decided I'm a creative genius.

It was nice to hear my sister say these things.

At least for me. But with each new accomplishment/compliment, the boy withdrew from the conversation. I stuck around to attempt another round of flirting, but the chips had fallen and not in my favor.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pansy!!

FoxyJ said...

Yeah, he must not be a real man if something like that scares him off. Real men don't date bimbos.

B.G. Christensen said...

If you want to get a man, you're going to have to drop out of grad school, stop reading, and stop writing poetry. Well, poetry is okay, but only if it's cute and fluffy.

Dreamer said...

Please, write the poetry, keep reading, and someone who is worth you should flit along soon.

Melyngoch said...

Maybe he'd be more comfortable with your poetry if it rhymed. And talked about three white dresses.

Tolkien Boy said...

He might have felt a little intimidated if he felt that LauLau was attempting to "sell" you. Not to question your observation, but his reaction (which, admitably, I didn't see) does not automatically mean he's paranoid at preserving his patriarchial superiority.

Anonymous said...

Good point

Kristen said...

Hi from Okinawa. Tomorrow I'm going out to Camp Kuwae, where Trent was born. I'm not really sure what i'm gonna do when I get there, but i just want to go, so I will.
i should just email you, but i'm already here and this is easier. so there.
tuesday is the day. memorial day last year, the 30th. i'm sorry it took me so long to call you then. i'm sorry about the eiffel tower. i miss him so much.
i'm sorry.

eleka nahmen said...

Pfft. TB is far too forgiving of this specimen of the lower form of the human race. I hope he ends up marrying a Baby Gap sales associate with half a degree in MFHD. And I hope he's miserable because of it. Hah!

 

Template by Blogger Candy