Tuesday, October 18, 2005

(Maybe) the final post about eg's hair

In my contemporary lit theory class today, we were discussing "violence against the Other through the use of reductive labels"--the idea being that by applying a word to a person, you are reducing their ability to remove or disassociate himself/herself from that label. My professor used the example of "hispanic," but I had the following passage running through my head:

Common American stereotypes dictate that blond-haired people are less intelligent ("dumb blonde"), more fun loving, sexier, and more attractive. Brown-haired people are described sometimes as uninspiring, average and even "mousy." Redheads are vibrant, energetic, sometimes bold and even bossy. Black-haired Caucasians are wild and exotic or morbid. (Wissner-Gross, Elizabeth. Unbiased: Editing in a Diverse Society. 126.)


Lately I've been described as blonde, brown-haired, and red-haired. (I just threw the black-haired description in because I enjoyed the "exotic or morbid" moment.) Considering this, I'm just going to accept my hair as an attempt to escape stereotypes. Because despite the ambiguous color, my hair is fabulous. It's one of my favorite things about me. This "what color is my hair" is just another query in my recent inability to maintain my definition of myself. But all that is going to change. Tomorrow.

4 comments:

Thirdmango said...

A friend of mine is going to do his thesis on Vampirism, apparently there is an actual group that claim to be Vampires, and when he goes I'm going to go with him and document it. So if you want to come, you could dye your hair black and we could all be morbid together.

B.G. Christensen said...

So there you have it. Your hair is poetically ambiguous and therefore non-conforming. Lauryn Hill would be proud of your hair for getting out of those boxes.

Anonymous said...

Regarding hair...It's not about the color at all. It's about the shape really.

Quit worrying about your color eg -- If you want to fly, you should go for aerodynamics. Of all people Ms. "unmanned flying desk set" should know that.

Said the sapling poet Neil: "This desk set wants to fly!!!" So look out super cuts, here she comes.

JB said...

I really like your hair color, so as people like to say in yearbooks, never change. Or if you do, find something that suits your skin tones as well or nearly as well. ;)

 

Template by Blogger Candy