Tuesday, November 14, 2006

the great debate

(at least the great debate going on in my head)

I thought once I decided on creative writing, the answers were there. And then once I decided on a PhD in creative writing, the answers were there. And then once I decided "the best creative writing program that will let me in," the answeres were there. But no. Each decision just gives me more decisions to make. Today's special: where to apply.

This is one list I keep thinking I have figured out. And for the most part, I do. Houston, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Virginia, NYU. . . my humility is overwhelming, I know. But there's a school that keeps hovering, one so appealing I can't help but want to apply. And yet. . .

The U has always been. . . the U. It's the "other university," the one I never even considered attending. It was too close to home, and it just wasn't BYU. And now that I've been looking at grad programs, I've been looking outside of the state, wanting to leave, wanting to experience something new. And I know Salt Lake isn't Provo. But it's still Salt Lake.

I am going to apply. The program benefits outweigh the fifteen minute drive to the Land Bountiful. Decision made.

For now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bawb and I would be delighted if you ended up staying in Utah longer.

B.G. Christensen said...

I notice you've forgotten to mention UW. Really, let's not be so close-minded as to disclude universities that don't offer the specific degree you're looking for, when said universities have obvious social advantages.

Anonymous said...

amen on the UW! way to make the decision. i stink at decisions myself. you have really really hot shoes.

Anonymous said...

The only unfortunate thing about the U. is that their football team is evil. So. . . consider the importance of that before you make any rash decisions.

Anonymous said...

Almost exactly 9 months ago, I was thinking the same thing. We all know I love the U, but 15 minutes from home? Yikes.

FoxyJ said...

I thought I had heard from a few people that the U's English program had a very anti-Mormon slant. I could be mistaken, though; maybe it's just a rumor.

 

Template by Blogger Candy