Tuesday, October 24, 2006

myth

I shouldn't use my blog to avoid homework. And I'm not avoiding homework. . . not exactly. I'm sure at some point I'll mention Barthes and whatever Barthes is talking about. Maybe I'll mention that I find Barthes easier to understand than Culler, who is supposed to be explicating Barthes and is doing a rather poor job. Or I'll just write Barthes because it's a bizarre combination of letters and sounds all working against each other in my brain when I try to figure out how to pronounce Barthes. And no, I don't want to be instructed in the pronunciation of Barthes or linguistics or anything else, unless it's the accelerated whatever that Optimistic has been touting. And even then, I may not pay attention.

Actually, I can guarantee that I won't pay attention. It's just a fact of life right now, limited attention span. Limited attention span, excessive sleeping, disinterest (Matthew Arnold would be so proud), aggressive roller coastering. Yesterday it was a relief to not finish my homework assignment, spend forty minutes looking for a parking spot, and dump a Jamba down my shirt because it gave me something to be upset about. Right now I'm upset about the Hollywood Ten, courtesy of Eli Wallach's guest appearance on Studio 60 (watching that on NBC rewind is really how I was avoiding doing my homework tonight). I like Eli Wallach--I didn't like him at first, for his role in How to Steal a Million, but since then--he's amazing. And he was quite good in How to Steal a Million, his character was just annoying. Something similar to my hating Fred Astaire after watching Holiday Inn. I couldn't stomach Funny Face for a while. Of course, that could be because of the rather dreadful "Bonjour Paris" number.

Like I said, limited attention span.

P.S. The picture is of Wallach comma Eli, not Barthes comma Roland.

P.P.S. Speaking of pictures, I need a new one. I love Eve, but she's just not cutting it right now. Suggestions?

6 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Adam?

B.G. Christensen said...

(Or perhaps Cain.)

Melyngoch said...

Hell, I'm using your blog to avoid homework.

Tolkien Boy said...

Anything with Icarus. Because I think of you whenver I see one, and you might as well be, too.

Anonymous said...

. . . and I'm using homework to avoid your blog. No, that's a lie. I just like the way it sounded. Way better than any pronunciation of "Barthes." Tolkein Boy's right, you need something with wings for your picture. Raphael's cherubs? No, overused. Something from Fra Angelico maybe. Or how about the classic Led Zeppelin Icarus?

Th. said...

.

Holy smokes that was confusing.

 

Template by Blogger Candy