Thursday, September 28, 2006

vision and revision

I'm resisting the urge to put in a movie right now--because it will keep me up for two hours, because I don't have the movie I want to watch on hand, because it will distract me from myself, which of course is the objective.

I always line up my thoughts before I begin a post, and then find them misplaced when I sit down to type. That sounds woefully like testimony meeting, but it's true.

Other things that are true:
  • My life is busy, but not too busy, not yet. Which means I am strangely contented, despite the tiredness. I finally connected with my 150 students today, courtesy of Lady Jane's brilliant lesson plan. And it didn't hurt that Zero had hyped me up via sprinting to class and attacking an elevator.
  • I read Tam Lin this week. I should have been reading theory, but Tam Lin appears at least once a school year. I read it first in high school, but it reminds me of freshman year and Aislin and London. And of course it gives me the chance to swoon over Thomas Lane and feel relieved that men like him don't exist.
  • Somehow the panic has gone away. Not the stress, but I thrive on stress. I can't focus without it. But things feel much more certain this year. I have a good idea of what comes next and why and I'm still letting myself write about wings. Not as many shoulders. I should return to that theme, image, whatever.
  • Finally (not because it's the last thing that's true, but because I'm slowly convincing myself that sleep is not the enemy), I'm excited to go home this weekend. The Jester and Marzipan are in Aladdin as the Genie and Narrator, respectively. And then I plan to grade poetry in my pajamas during conference. Does life get any better than this? Probably. But I don't need any more right now. Not for a few days, at least.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching conference in pajamas sounds wonderful. Unfortunately, I must go to the insitute building to view, which probably means wearing a tie. Maybe if I wear a skinny '80s tie it won't feel so bad.

Th. said...

.

How does one grade poetry, anyhow?

N.F. said...

I will also prob. watch Conference in mis pajamas--and all the while telling myself to PAY ATTENTION. I know I get so much more out of it when I'm in a church building--but this Conference begs a different approach. Rather, demands a different approach.

PS, I heart Aladdin more than anything. :)

Melyngoch said...

Skipping conference in pajamas sounds even better. Ho, hum . . .

One grades poetry by asking oneself, "Are there a lot of backs?" and using some sort of sliding scale.

editorgirl said...

Not backs--shoulders. Backs are for the fiction unit, which is coming to a blog near you in one week.

Kristen said...

I started blogging again. original blog. just thought you should know. since everyone else in the blogging community thinks that I flew the coop. more to come. I'm glad you're grading poetry.
word.

oh! resolution said...

i wanna hear about some backs, esp. fiction backs, and i can't wait until next week. can you bump up the release date?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 

Template by Blogger Candy