Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Waiting up for Prince Charming

I am one caffeinated coma away from being done with finals. Tomorrow at this time I will be done with rhetoric, the history of the English language, Irish drama, and that one other class I had. Yes!

It's been mentioned that I need to look on the positive. In rebuttal I'm going to quote one of my favorite poets, Lance.

I don't see myself as being melancholy, at least not unusually so. G.J. Nathan once said, "Show me an optimist and, almost without exception, I'll show you a bad poet." Why? Because bad poets don't usually wade into trouble; they don't dive. If the scriptures and classic literature can be trusted, and I think they can, only trouble is of much interest. At heart I'm a romantic---but a romantic who believes that visions aren't worth much if they aren't tested by everyday living.

Note: my happiness level has just shot through the roof on account of that block quoting tool.

I've been described as a cynical romantic, or a romantic cynic, take your pick. I've also been described as Galadriel-esque, but that's another story. Anyway, this quote resonated with me because I do have that negative, cynical, bitter, angsty edge to a lot of the stuff I write. But who honestly wants to read about butterflies and rainbows and that boy who said something nice to me? Not that anyone wants to read about ex-boyfriends and finals, I'll give you that. But there is discord there and tension--there is something there. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather feel something than feel nothing. Nothing begets nothing, and whether that's art or tantrums, it's still nothing.

1 comments:

editorgirl said...

On another note, to quote that great philosopher Lloyd Dobbler, "If you start out depressed everything's kind of a pleasant surprise."

And in a final act of true three-year-old behavior: since when is HMP the most positive guy alive?

 

Template by Blogger Candy