Monday, October 01, 2007

love may transform me to an oyster

I have written about my love for Beatrice and Benedick before. Specifically here and here and here. Oh, and, of course, here. So tonight when I read Grover's quick reference (here), I was happy to see someone else appreciate one of my favorite plays. Reading through my posts, however, I realized that what I was usually writing about was Benedick, not Benedick and Beatrice. I decided to return to the text. And then, being too lazy to find the texts among my many many stacks of books, I went to the (brilliant) 1993 film. Hooray for Kenneth Branagh. And Emma Thompson.

Tonight it's more than brilliant acting and brilliant-er lines that holds my attention. (Is it not strange that sheep's guts should hail souls out of men's bodies?) I'm thinking about the relationships in the play. Gideon Burton would have us believe the text is a study of homosocial relationships (Claudio and Benedick, Hero and Beatrice), but I'm going to stick with my love story. You have Claudio and Hero, who knew of each other before Claudio left for war, but who don't fall in love until he returns, when he sees her for the first time. And once they do see each other, and fall in love, the Prince proposes for Claudio and they prepare to marry in a week's time. Benedick and Beatrice have known each other for a much longer time. They pick at each other, but my favorite lines indicate they really have seen each other (You always end with a jade's trick. I know you of old.) Benedick puts aside his wit when Beatrice needs him. They may be embarrassed by admitting they love each other, but they do love each other. And I, at least, read it to be a more mature love than that of Claudio and Hero's.

Why this sudden outburst? Other than my love for all things Benedick? I'm watching marriages start and end all about me. Marriage appears to be a scary, scary, wonderful thing. And I have no problem with the Hero/Claudio marriage, provided it matures. But I'm hoping for a Beatrice/Benedick romance and marriage. With both the wit and the . . . well, whatever it is.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

wow. two posts in a week! I adore you.

Th. said...

.

I agree with your analysis exactly. And your love of the film.

Anonymous said...

phenomenal as always.

and, ps., i didn't read your post until now, which is after the last two messages i sent you. gives me hope for my brain when it connects with yours :) pretty crazy.

heath said...

Oh, I love the Much Ado reference! I've been thinking about that play/movie a lot lately--not sure why.

mlh said...

How funny--I was thinking about Much Ado recently myself. My dad was testing that movie on his computer. And something in Euridipes' Helen reminded me of it, the suddenly happy ending on the heels of shivering bloodshed and war and an internal threat no less tensing.


But for me...

I'm just bucking for not a Don John/Don Pedro relationship. Don't let me become bitter and destroying. Don't let me fling darts of disaster.

 

Template by Blogger Candy