Saturday, January 08, 2005

Bongos in the RB

Initially I fully intended on writing a true "bitter diatribe" (you people have yet to tell me what movie that's from. Hint: chick flick) about the general herding mentality of BYU, coupled with some commentary on couples and the ickiness of PDA in general. And that diatribe is most likely going to appear sometime in the near future. But last night I had a good little phone chat with a good little friend (okay, he's not that little). We were discussing our schedules and why I should be dead. He suggested I drop something. Can't drop any of my courses. Won't drop inscape or april. So he asked about work. Fact: I love my job. Therefore this post is going to entirely be about the wonderfulness of my job. No brown nosing intended--I'm just happy.

This train of thought started when my boss, the chief editor dude, said something to the effect of "I can't picture myself in this job for the next 30 years." It was a passing comment, until the next day when he i-chatted (IMed) everyone saying, "Remember how I said I couldn't picture myself in this job for the next 30 years?" Unfortunately, group chatting wasn't functioning, so we all had to wait for the explanatory email. In my head I was finishing the ichat with, "Well, I'm not going to. See you, suckers!"

The email came and luckily it was an epiphany regarding the immense cool factor of his job. Which it is. I mean, he gets to work with me. Kidding. Everyone now poke fun at editorgirl in the comments section. But he does have a cool job, and as a small extension, I have a cool job. I get to edit and proofread, which I find a perverse enjoyment in. And I get to write articles, which I love to do. And I work with (brown nosing begins here) three of the coolest guys I know. And the word "cool" has officially been overused in this post. But I'm not done.

Yesterday I got to work to find a note taped to my office door telling me to haul over to a staff meeting. I grabbed my laptop, now complete with a wireless connection, and followed the map they had drawn me. We spent the next two hours talking about the next big project for the magazine, a photo essay of "24 Hours at BYU" (which Kapka's genius brother helped with, by the way). Actually, I don't know if I can say we spent two hours discussing that, because at these meetings, we are the masters of tangential conversation. But it was fun. I probably shouldn't get so much enjoyment from making Excel spreadsheets and chatting people during meetings, but the best part of any day at work is that this editorial triumverate I work for actually listens to the interns.

This post has gotten obscenely long, so I'm going to postpone writing about walking outside the Royal Albert Hall with Todd talking about his brilliant internship at BYU Magazine that made me want to intern there. . . which is now here. Anyway. . . happy Saturday everyone.

1 comments:

Kristen said...

poke. fun. poke.

 

Template by Blogger Candy