Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Anti-Tangent

I just spent an hour wallowing on the sac of love and thinking about the events of the evening. 58 minutes and one potential poem later, I realized that thinking isn't going to cure anything. Neither will writing, for that matter, but it will let me sleep.
I am a creature of habit. Every time I start a new routine, it takes a major effort on my part just to function. Such an effort was required today with classes starting. Add to that stress the tension that had magically built up in my apartment since Sunday, etc., etc., etc. and I was having a watery blue day. Nothing too serious just off.
Enter ward executive secretary, via a phone message. I thought it was the Sunday School president reminding me about teaching this week. Instead, I was being called in to talk with the bishop. That less than a minute message made everything stop. I couldn't focus on work, I couldn't focus on chatting with my new co-worker. I had to get away. So I did.
Somehow I survived until my scheduled appointment. And I was right, it was a release and a new calling. My new co-chair is a friend of mine and a guy the bishop thinks I should "take care of." What a very domestic suggestion.
In the same hour, I was asked if I was dating another of my guy friends. Apparently the word hasn't finished circulating yet that I'm decidedly single. The odd thing about this question was--and is--that it made me start thinking about this guy, who was already on my short list, and I realized I really would like to date him. Talking with my roommates just made it sound, as always, that much more feasible. I just wish I had paid more attention in Guy Chasing 101. I don't do the whole game playing, guy chasing mess. Flirting I do and can do, but that's about it. Which means this will be just another cute guy who I admire from afar and have intelligent conversations with at ward functions. Hmmm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new calling. What will you co-chair? Or is it cochair?

Hey. Are you spacing between paragraphs as in earlier posts? Or is this change of style a New Year's Resolution?

And this posting after midnight. I'm thinking you need an earlier bedtime. What? I sound like your mother? (Sigh) Youth is so wasted on the young.

oh! resolution said...

i got a used copy of the guy chasing 101 manual at a used bookstore and it reads:
1. make the first move, that way he knows you are interested
2. split the bill (he'll pay later, this way you are unassuming about the future of the relationship. if he offers to pay he is a class act, keep him.)
3. don't settle; losers are in wide supply for a good reason.
4. realize that no one is currently good enough for you, but someone will be as soon as you meet him (or get to know him better).
5. disregard all tips from the guy chasing 101 manual (however, if you want more just say the word and i'll look up the topic for you.)

Kristen said...

what happened to the ward non-funcion?

oh! resolution said...

hmp - do you want to co-author a guy grabbing 101 manual? it would sell like hotcakes at byu. you could have a picture of yourself in a speedo on the front. promise. it'll be the tongue-in-cheek bestseller of the year.

 

Template by Blogger Candy