Wednesday, March 29, 2006

the girls are back in town

My friend who abandoned me to go to grad school in Cali decided to visit Utah (and me) for spring break. I know, I know--not the brightest crayon in the box. And actually, first she abandoned me for Japan and then grad school, so we haven't had a chance to catch up for two years. Yet that pattern seems so familiar. . .

So I've written at least a dozen blogs in my head since Monday. There was the blog about being the token woman in 617. There was the "my top five albums" blog. There was the blog about how I like lists. There was the blog that was just a list. There was the blog about talking to Eleka for two hours after Poetasters. And there was the blog about today, which is what I'm about to write. I should warn you that it curves rapidly downhill.

Part one: English 115. Oh the stories I could tell. Today was APA basketball, which is as dreadful as it sounds. One tape-and-paper ball, one trash can, two lines to shoot from--a three-point and a one-point. Of course no one shot from the one-point line--that's for girls. And not even girls, who kept taking their chances from the three-point line. Nevermind that it's for extra credit and that single points can add up. There was one student--we'll call him Wade--who consistently nailed the three-point shot. So after he had been up a few times, and was up again for the last attempt of the day, there was some complaining from the ranks. In a moment of fairy godmother-ness (and pure stupidity), I said that if Wade made the shot, everyone in class today could have the points. No pressure on the poor kid, who stood at the three point line and arced another one headed straight for the "basket." At which point a guy sitting in the front row jumped up and blocked his shot. Brilliant kid, that one.

Part two: Somehow the conversation in 617 today turned to High Fidelity--at which point Kim mentioned that she preferred Grosse Pointe Blank as far as John Cusack movies go. I stopped the conversation to inquire after the comment. Kim loves John Cusack too. I am validated. (And immediately went out and rented GPB, which is brilliant and I'm buying on payday. Movie night anyone?)

0 comments:

 

Template by Blogger Candy