Sunday, January 17, 2010

I love to see the temple

I honestly didn't think this is where I'd be going with these posts, but this is what came to mind this morning, and it's sticking.


This is the temple that's in my hometown, Bountiful, Utah. Lauren was married to Jesse here, and Stephen to Ashton. It's where I did my first baptisms for dead. It's also one of the places I spent a lot of time thinking about my future--although, I did it from the outside, either walking the perimeter or walking the grounds. It's one of those places you just feel drawn to. . . and here "you" is obviously "me".


This is the temple where I live right now, Chicago. It's actually about an hour north of Chicago, but that's okay. It was the first temple to be built in the Midwest after the Saints made the trek to Utah. They left the Midwest in 1846; the Chicago Temple was built in 1985.


If I'm allowed a "favorite" temple, this might be it: London. It's also outside of London, but the grounds are beautiful and peaceful and, again, it's one of the places I've spent a lot of time praying and thinking about my future.


I love the Mt. Timp Temple too. It's identical to the Bountiful Temple, except for the accent coloring. And it's where I received my endowment (because Bountiful was closed and Mt. Timp is closer to Lehi and Provo).


EG fun fact: When I was growing up, one of my favorite movies was The Mountain of the Lord, about the forty years it took to build the Salt Lake Temple. Forty years, people. That's love.

4 comments:

stevesie said...

i loved that movie. that's the one where the granite guy gets his legs blown off, right?

Amanda said...

I like the simultaneous senses of groundedness and exaltedness you get by not only going inside these buildings, but just associating each one you visit with a certain time in your life.

I'm sad I never went to the London temple now. It looks beautiful! We did at least get to visit the Preston temple. That was nice.

Alexis said...

I loved Mountain of the Lord. Still a favorite.

ZeroSmythson said...

I actually auditioned for a part in The Mountain of the Lord. (I've never actually seen it, though. I auditioned for the part of some kid that's bringing tools to a stonemason...)

The audition was held in the chapel behind the Los Angeles Temple. Coming in the midst of many monotonous, droning auditions, it was something I actually really wanted. Alas. I guess I didn't seem LDS enough or something.

 

Template by Blogger Candy