Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's done.

Well, it's not done done. But it is drafted done. Intro, Osherow, Gluck, Creech, conclusion. All jammed together into one pretty little file and shipped off to the chair. I even wrote the acknowledgements.

And now I can't sleep. My brain won't turn off. Except what am I supposed to think about now? Other than sleep? And what revisions Chair will make me make in the morning? It is the morning. Maybe I should revise now. Except I can't. I might start screaming and that would wake the Abby Baby. Who is sleeping in Bountiful tonight.

So here's the plan: 8:00 a.m. Chair flips his way through the thesis. 9:00 a.m. I meet with Chair and listen obediently to what changes must be made before I send this thing on to committee. I'm hoping to be done with it by noon, or slightly after noon. And then I wait for them to tell me I can schedule my defense, which has to be done by Feburary 22. In the meantime. . .

Szymborska's "4 o'clock in the morning" suggests that what saves us from that awful hour is 5:00 a.m. But 5:00 a.m. is just as awful. Trust me. I have experienced it too many times.

Okay, meantime. I am planning a party. I'm not sure what day, but it will be after the defense. It will be a "Pass" party and if I can swing it, it will also be my 25th birthday party. I've wanted to be 25 for forever. Not sure why. But 25 is one I'm going to celebrate. I'm not sure what day (TB and K, this might be subject by any Utah-ward plans you have), but I know the schedule. 7:00 to 8:00: music and drinks. 8:00 to 9:00-ish: poetry reading/open-mic. Hey, it's an editorgirl party and the whole point is the poetry. And then the rest of the night will dissolve into conversation and celebration and more drinks and more music. Maybe cake. Maybe cupcakes.

Because you have to celebrate with cupcakes.

10 comments:

David Grover said...

I'm proud of you. I'd take you to Applebee's if I thought you could stand it.

heath said...

Oh man, way to go! Wish you the very best with as little revision as possible!

Unknown said...

Many congratulations. Let me know when this party is - hopefully I can make it.

eleka nahmen said...

I would so be at this party if I could :) Congratulations!

Th. said...

.

Congratulations, eg.

mlh said...

WOOOT!!!!

I honor your thesisity. Call me and I'll show you a good time. And when I come to your party, I will dress in my prom dress. And bring bubbly. And flowers. And chocolate. Hurrah!

Also, independently, I'm thinking about a Graduates Reading--you me Micheal Levers, maybe someone else. What do you think?

Anna B said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! That is the best news I've ever heard. Yay!!

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

Hurrah!!! Shall I bring hummus?

Joe said...

Well done Miss. I saw Lance and Pat at AWP, and met the esteemed S. Tuttle. I think they should hire me someday. When are you coming to Ohio? It's a flippin' fiesta out here.

Ginsberg said...

Way to go, e.g. Wish I could be there for your birthday party. We'll have to have a mini-celebration in San Francisco.

 

Template by Blogger Candy