Tuesday, February 26, 2008

erring on the side of grievance

Too clever? I can always subtitle this post "On Annoyance."

1. Why does the thesis format have to be so ugly? Can't I employ my skills typesetting to make it look pretty and readable? Thus masking all its flaws? Instead it's a double-spaced Times New Roman nightmare, complete with chapter titles in ALL CAPS. Ick ick ick.

2. After hauling a box of books (and then some) to the library on Monday, I discovered the library was claiming that four had not been returned. Admitting my messy standard of living (creative chaos. . . ), I double checked my apartment, although I was positive that the books were not here. And they weren't. A trip back to the library found them exactly where they were supposed to be--on the shelves.

3. I knew the thesis wasn't done, but I can't seem to find the energy to give the conclusion whatever enthusiasm it needs. What do I want to read at the end of my thesis? Nothing. Or perhaps I should write that "NOTHING."

6 comments:

David Grover said...

I think you may be able to get away with using Garamond instead of Times New Roman. The improvement would more than compensate for a conclusion that said nothing.

I dreamed the other night that I had been mispronouncing that for years, that it was actually "gamarond."

Th. said...

.

HBLL's done that to me as well.

ambrosia ananas said...

That all caps rule has frequently made me want to punch people. Because, hey, at the pinnacle of our academic career thus far, why don't we demonstrate our prowess by disregarding the capitalization conventions we learned in elementary school?

Good luck with your defense.

Anna B said...

write "the nothing" and say it's heiddeggerian.

Big Frank Dickinson said...

The ugliness of standardization –

You're almost there –

Big Frank

Alexis said...

Did you do the "Nothing" thing or can I use it?

 

Template by Blogger Candy