Thursday, December 02, 2004

Post-april thoughts

1. I like Frank O'Hara. There's something nice and deceptive about his simple sentences and word choice and his immersion in the popular culture of that time. I don't know if I got around to saying all of that, so there it is.

2. A cool quote from Simic: "You throw everything out of poetry except what really makes poetry distinct--which is metaphor, one metaphor after another, wild flights of imagination. It's a risky business."

3. A cool quote from Rita Dove (even though we didn't talk about her tonight): "If they don't find themselves compulsively reading--print as they walk by a shopping mall, anything--then I don't think they're really a writer. . . because inherent in the idea of being a writer is to have the whole continuum, have the whole circle be completed. That feeling as a writer that you are writing, someone else is going to pick this up and read it and it's not completed until that person reads it. If you haven't taken part in that continuum, how can you even know how it's going to work?"

4. I like april.

5. I like Miss K's pjs, Kapka's burrowing, Day's quiet amusement, and T-bone's bizarre laugh. And I live the LoveSac.

6. Thank you for putting up with my cold.

7. Would the Sunday after reading days work for everyone to do dinner at my place? I'll cook. . . provided that I've stopped coughing over everything.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

For a genuine poet...(kidding.)
um. I will eat all things always. all times. I think I've said this before...
hmmm.
T-bone.
Trent is a steak.
Reminds me of this french song I learned in middle school about the salade et la dessert, no no no, pas le biftek! (or is it bifteck? tech? teque?)

(fin)

editorgirl said...

Pathetic justification of my considering Simic's quote cool: it's about surrealist poetry. So there.

 

Template by Blogger Candy