Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Take it like a man

I like theater, literature, the arts in general. All these lovely things that are purely subjective. Like comedy shows. And I have this quirky belief that in order to improve these subjective things, we need to be open to critiques. For example, if I write a poem I'm going to show it to people, get some responses, find out that all but one line is complete trash, and then write a less terrible poem. Criticism is necessary.
So (enter personal experience) this weekend I attended a comedy show. Twice. I was supporting some cast member friends and being entertained. But after the first evening of laughing so hard my face hurt, I was prepared to consider the pros and cons of the show. And (surprise, surprise) one of my favorite things to write is a good old fashioned review. So I did. Consider it a gift to my highly talented performing artist friends. And then I posted it to the group's website. Enter poinards. Although the bulk of my review was positive, I did offer a few gently phrased criticisms. Which is apparently all anyone reads. Since posting that, I've been attacked from all sides, including by one individual who pointed out that I was highly critical of the female portion of the cast. Maybe it's because they're the weaker part. But oh wait, I complimented the majority of the girls and only a few of the guys by name.
I am working myself into an unhealthy frenzy, but I just want to throw this out to the now two people who read this blog. Criticism is what keeps the arts alive, whether it's a sonnet or a comedy show.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Indeed. I read both your post and the following threads...Here's a resounding, "Jeez!" In response to their vast generalizations about you and the level of intelligence with which you critiqued the performance I have one thing to say, "You're all stupid." In response to you, my dear, I say, don't let them get under your skin. Eww. Bad visual.

Kristen said...

PS. I think you should write a sonnet about this whole thing. Probably something about Adam and Eve going to a comedy show...I can see it now. Actually, I can. It's written on your bathroom mirror.

Jer said...

There are people who can't stand the thought of someone not enjoying something as much as they did. These people think that because they have been entertained by something, everything had to have been unflawed, without hitch, perfect. Gentle reminders that there is always room for improvement is like debris under their fingernails -- as if pointing out flaws can somehow retroactively cheapen their enjoyment. It's an argument as silly as "so many people like so it MUST be good."

I clicked on the DC website to read your review I don't see any reason to call it "nitpicky." I enjoyed the show I saw with you guys a couple months ago, but I wasn't laughing the entire time. There were a few skits that definately didn't quite get to where they wanted to go. And some where outright stupid. (and not stupid-funny; just regular stupid). My favorite by far, however, was that Sigfried and Roy skit. Good stuff.

editorgirl said...

I've convinced my best friend and my mentor of inscape past. Kudos to me.
No, Miss K. That is not a sonnet. But this is something I want to talk about tonight, with or without DC input.

 

Template by Blogger Candy