Monday, April 16, 2007

I can't

I don't trust myself. My trust is dangerously in other places--some traditional, some not so much. Tonight, I'm waiting for a first line. I trust my first lines. They usually launch genius--or at the very least, passable work. I don't have a first line right now. I have a list of things I need to do, a post-it note covered book, and a large Diet Coke suffering from too much ice, but no first line.

I'm wondering why I chose Li-Young Lee. Other than that a treatment of the tradition of the sacred in contemporary American poetry would seem incomplete without him. His poetry is beautiful--mind-numbingly so. Maybe that's why this first line seems impossible right now.

Lee reminds me of Trent. So does England, pink gerbera daisies, speedos, and Riki Tiki Tavi. And wings, although I'm moving from angels to birds.

I've decided to not go to grad school next year. I decided this before I heard from Ohio, and I asked them to take me off their waiting list.

I don't know if I can do this.

8 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

Whoa. So what are your plans for next year?

Tolkien Boy said...

You are ever so much more brave than I am.

Why not start with these reflections? There's probably a reason why Lee's poetry reminds you of so much.

Anonymous said...

A brave decision indeed. I hope you don't mind a relative, although not a blood relative, reading from now on. JMC

Th. said...

.

I like Lee.

I don't understand your reasons for not going, but am excited for your uncertainties.

Uncertainties tend to get quashed by adulting.

I wish you the best with yours.
Keep them alive.

Christian said...

So does this mean you're staying close? And maybe I'll actually see you every now and again over the next year? Please say yes.

editorgirl said...

yes. yes yes yes.

And I'll post on my plans once I have some. ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything intelligent to say, just that you're awesome.

Also, Li-Young Lee is great.

B.G. Christensen said...

Do your plans involve moving to Seattle? Cause Edgy's moving here too.

 

Template by Blogger Candy