Thursday, April 19, 2007

140 songs

For my birthday my parents gave me an iPod shuffle. I admit at first I wasn't too thrilled, but this is the way I listen to music--I rarely listen to one CD. I either make my own mixes/playlists or I tell iTunes to shuffle for me. Usually it hits the spot and I can move from song to song. So I'm happy.

Here's my little problem: The iPod is coming with me to the UK (in a week!). It holds about 130 songs depending on what it puts on. I've been compiling a playlist for it to draw from, but I'm not sure what I want on there. Some Shins, some Death Cab, but what Shins, what Death Cab? And what about Rachel Yamagata, KT Tunstall, Jem, Andrew Bird, Midlake, Mika, etc? I love my music. It's kind of like walking into a bookstore that's all poetry--it's overwhelming and you have no choice but to ask for help.

Yes, I'm asking for help. What music would you take? What music should I take? I don't need your top 140, but a top 5 or 10 would be nice. Or music you wouldn't hate listening to while walking 200 miles.

And don't let me forget to put some About a Boy on there. That would be sad.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

For the Shins, I would insist on "Saint Simon," other than the obvious songs that I know you're going to take (like "New Slang"). As for Death Cab, I can't speak highly enough about "Brothers on a Hotel Bed." It's gorgeous. And if you're bringing Andrew Bird along, you should probably listen to either "Tables and Chairs" or "Heretics." But I forget if you have either of those songs. Give me a shout if you don't.

Melyngoch said...

My advice can only echo my advice about the bookstore: Try to work out a way to consummate your marriage to the Shins.

Tolkien Boy said...

How did I know you had become a fellow Mika fan?

I think you should include at least one song that makes you think of me.

P.S., you won't believe this, but your word verification is lolhah. No funning.

Anonymous said...

First, happy birthday. I was actually thinking just this morning, "doesn't editorgirl have a birthday in the spring sometime?" Second, amen to the marriage consummation bit. On both counts. Third, here are my somewhat random picks:

The Shins: "The Celibate Life," "Kissing the Lipless" and "Turn on Me"

Death Cab: "Movie Script Ending," "Lightness," and "What Sarah Said" (naturally)

Anna B said...

Well, as your officially sin-music-taste friend, I would suggest some killers--maybe things that I've done.

Kristen said...

I can't believe that no one has told you that you MUST have the Proclaimers "500 Miles..." corndog, I know, but you're gonna love it when you're at mile 100...

Also: K says: you shouldn't go far without some froufrou/imogen heap :)

Christian said...

Personally, I think you should add "Grace Kelly" by Mika. Because that's all I've been listening to for a week now. (It's sad when on e realizes that one truly does have an obsessive personality.)

JB said...

Soundtracks are fun to walk to. They make your trip remind you of parts of the movie you chose (hopefully parts of the movie you liked). Take some music from Say Anything and Elizabethtown.

Anonymous said...

jon auer, "bottom of the bottle"

right now.

 

Template by Blogger Candy