Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I am not a theory girl

It's not that I don't understand, it's that it just doesn't thrill me to push and pull ideas that don't affect my reading of a text or the way I write or the way I live my life.

There's also the sneaking suspicion that I'm not cool enough to be a theory girl. There has to be a certain, unspoken-but-discernible air about a theory girl. The hair, the clothes, the literary preferences. . . they're all there. They all must have been initiated through deconstruction. I'm just not that.

After 630 yesterday, I was informed that I hadn't said anything. I had thought a lot of things, but those didn't count. Better to sound like a fool than to stay silent in this class.

I prefer not to play the fool.

6 comments:

Thirdmango said...

You're my theory girl.

Anonymous said...

I've never been a big fan of theory, myself. It so often seems like theory people are just grasping at straws. (But this of course may be why I'm not an English major.)

Anonymous said...

theorygirl--I mean, editorgirl, please eloborate on the "certain, unspoken-but-discernible air about a theory girl." What kind of hair? What kind of clothes? Literary preferences? How about a "theory boy?" I'm guessing he doesn't wear Donald Duck t-shirts or read both baseball novels and Sylvia Plath. . . but does he keep a pencil behind his ear? . . . Did I spell "elaborate" right?

Anonymous said...

It always takes me a while to get warmed up to the idea of playing the fool. For example, in the two classes I'm in (both of which have smarty pants students who drop names I've never heard of), I'm still not quite comfortable enough to verbalize the burning juvenile questions in my brain. Maybe next week.

B.G. Christensen said...

Are you living in a theory world?

Melyngoch said...

blast it, eg, one of us has to be a theory girl if we're going to continue comprising two halves of one English student, and it's absolutely not going to be me.

 

Template by Blogger Candy