Thursday, September 21, 2006

Closed

Kim Johnson likes to describe the completion of a poem as a closing--a snapping shut. She does this thing with her hands that reminds me of a Venus flytrap. And then the poem is done, there isn't anything more she can do.

Tonight I'm giving Kim my poems that I think are closed, that have snapped shut for me. The ones that when I poke around the components all line up the same way. They're the ones that logically are ready for publication or readings, but I really want Kim's nod of approval. Because closure isn't always a good thing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim's nod of approval? I say, think of it more as "input." I have a great deal of respect for her, but--and this will probably get me in trouble--I honestly don't like her poetry. It's too smart for me. Or too old-school. One of those. My input would be this: you're great and send your poems to the bat people and anyone else you see fit.

 

Template by Blogger Candy