Wednesday, September 19, 2007

fine

I am not fine. And I am about to write a blog that will later go down as "too honest" or simply "too much," but this is the next in a long line of remedies.

I've been seriously depressed for the past month--I've been depressed since I was 11, but never this severely. This time there hasn't been a solution or a repreive, although I am working on that with a doctor, a psychologist, and (in the near future) a psychiatrist. There are moments when I feel like myself--like Sarah or even like eg--when I'm teaching every morning, when I spent a day with my cousin Meghan, and one night when I couldn't stop writing poetry that I finally looked at again today. It's actually not too bad. The poetry, not the depression. The depression never leaves and I find myself taking odd opportunities to get emotional: crying, raging, pretending I don't exist.

Today is actually the one month mark. I know the day this started. It was the day I pulled my last all-nighter, attempting to bring my thesis to a level worthy of defense. I worked frantically all day, all night, all day. And in the end, I came up short. I haven't touched my thesis since then, which I know is weak but I also know that it gives me a headache, among other undesirable side effects. It was also the day Abby was born. She's beautiful, perfect. And I didn't want to admit to my failure in the middle of the celebration. So I waited. And when I finally allowed myself to wallow in my third-year grad student status, I couldn't stop wallowing. I haven't stopped. I haven't written much, excepting that one night of manic poetics.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this, other than the responsibility I feel to those who read or used to read this blog. Most of you are friends, some of you my most important friends. I'm sorry if I've somehow let you down this month. I promise I'm trying to make it better.

10 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm sorry this has been so hard for you. I care about you very much.

Liz Busby said...

I love you eg! I'm there for you if you need anything. Good luck on your journey.

B.G. Christensen said...

Take care, eg.

Saule Cogneur said...

As long as you pay me $20 for the Guster ticket, all will be forgiven...actually, all will be forgiven anyway, but I definitely could use the money.

Hang in there.

Christian said...

You haven't let me down at all. If anything, I figure I've let you down.

And it's possible to survive third-year status. I even made it to fourth-year status (and technically fifth-year and never-gonna-write-the-damn-thesis status). They may have given me funny looks, but they all still loved me. :)

ambrosia ananas said...

[hugs] I hope things go better for you soon.

Anonymous said...

editorgirl, you have NEVER let me down. NEVER.

mlh said...

I don't know how to make it better.

I am, however, on your side.

Th. said...

.

I feel it's more than a little unfair that you've never let me down....

Anonymous said...

amen. you've never let me down for one second. and, hey, it probably doesn't make you feel one bit better, but you're in good co. for 3rd year master's (me, brooke, elisabeth guyon, spencer, hilary, pretty much everyone except ryan and adrianne). you're a genius and theses (in my humble opinion) are overrated. so sorry that this month has been hell for you. wish i lived in provo.

 

Template by Blogger Candy