Friday, August 25, 2006

Eye heart you

I got my first pair of glasses when I was eighteen months old, so I never really had to "adjust" to whatever trauma glasses introduce to a life. My first pair were thick pink plastic frames that wrapped around my ears so I wouldn't pull them off. They (whoever "they" are, see Elizabethtown) told my mom to tie my glasses to my hair so that if I tried to pull the glasses off, it would pull my hair and I'd learn not to pull. Apparently the method was never applied; I was so attached to my glasses that I wouldn't let my parents take them off when I went to sleep--they'd have to wait for me to fall asleep.

I should insert a cute picture of me here, but I don't have any on my computer. So pretend me as a toddler with thick glasses--did I mention that the lenses were thicker than the frames?

I'm going to skip through the elementary years, when I was the girl with glasses to ninth grade. That was the year I convinced my parents I had to have contacts. I got them for Christmas and began to learn the art of poking myself in the eye every morning.

I left junior high and went to high school and almost no one knew that I had ever been the girl with glasses. But that was a huge part of me. It surprised me when people were surprised that I wore contacts. It still surprises me.

Before my freshman year at BYU began, I decided to get my first pair of glasses in. . . however many years. I can't do the math. Three and a half? Sure. Sounds good. Thanks to technology, my lenses had gotten thinner. I alternated my glasses and contacts that year, the next year, and then the headaches began. I thought the cause was my contacts, so I wore my glasses all the time, but the headaches didn't go away. I couldn't see the boards in classes. . . it was what most kids go through the first time they get glasses, but in reverse.

A trip to the eye doctor revealed that my perscription had changed significantly, for the better. I got new contacts and some cheap reading glasses and I was set. But my persciption kept (and keeps) jumping around, so my eye doctor advised against new glasses. Until this last trip.

Wait? Did you catch that? Do you know what that means?

Yep. Exactly. I'll be a four-eyes again. But you know what they say. . . No, not "Guys don't make passes for girls who wear glasses." What they say is. . .

Four eyes are better than two.

9 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

Thanks for quoting Dorothy and making me smile.

I'm also getting a new pair of glasses, and need your input on what will be devastatingly sexy.

B.G. Christensen said...

Studies have shown that glasses make people, on average, 468% sexier.

Anonymous said...

I'm supposed to wear glasses. Anyone who ever takes a ride in my little German-made car learns this. Mostly by the time "they" decided I needed them (when I embarassingly failed the DMV eye exam trying to renew my licence before my mission), I had already established the habit of having the pencil behind the ear. You can't do both (I've tried) and contacts seem like a pain, so I only wear them to drive and when I get really squity in big classes. So are you going to go for Velma-style frames?

Anonymous said...

I JUST GOT MY FIRST PAIR OF GLASSES EVER!! The doctor wouldn't set me loose in the mission field unless I got a prescription.

Not being able to read the chart was traumatizing. And by traumatizing, you know that I mean every doctor, nurse and patient in that office was aware of how freaked out I was. Am.

ambrosia ananas said...

I want to see your new glasses.

Melyngoch said...

Do you look disapprovingly at people over the top of them? Reports are it's very sexy.

Anonymous said...

Guess what???? I totally broke my glasses here on study abroad that I've had for, oh, two million years. So let's go get new ones together. I hope training went well today, I'm sad I wasn't there to hang out with you and of course have the free pina colada at the sky room. Bummer in the summer

FoxyJ said...

Master Fob and I have both been exclusively wearing glassses for the last 4 years. And we have produced two children during that time. Hmm....

Bassercussionist said...

I need to start wearing glasses; I'm squinting a lot and it's giving me a headache.

And I helped Tolkien Boy choose out his new glasses the other day. I'm pretty sure that all will approve.

 

Template by Blogger Candy